Contrary to the belief that vegetarians do not get enough protein intake, there are several high-protein food in the food pyramid that are not meat or eggs. Taking in protein doesn’t necessarily mean having an egg everyday or a serving of lean meat at least once a day. Yes, they are excellent sources of protein, but if you are a vegetarian, fear not! There are several other vegetarian foods that can give you the same amount of protein any non vegetarian item can provide.
Protein intake for vegetarians is not rocket science, trust us! Nowadays, a lot of people are embracing vegetarianism and veganism. In this case, the options for protein intake diversify to more than just meat.
A little about how much protein we need:
Proteins are the building blocks of the body. They repair tissues and help in building new ones. Proteins break down into amino acids and facilitate cell growth and repair. Goes without saying, they are an integral part of growth. Kids, especially, are always given ample amount of protein in their early years as it determines their physical and mental well-being.
Studies show that you need about 0.8 kilograms of protein for every kilogram of your body weight. So, the protein intake that your body requires is proportional to how much you weigh. However, athletes consume more protein as they help in building muscle, otherwise known as mass. Like everything else, don’t overdo it. There are some serious health risks if you consume excessive protein. So always keep tab of how much protein you intake.
Protein intake options for vegetarians:
There are umpteen number of options that you can intake if you are a vegetarian. You might even be consuming several of these on a daily basis. Take a look at the list below:
- All Soy Products: Topping the list are Soy products such as tofu, soy beans, soy cheese, soy milk etc. They are a very popular substitute to meat, cheese and other animal products.
- Legumes: Almost every Indian cuisine has some legumes in them! Some of them are kidney beans, lentils, chickpeas etc. Take at least one serving per day and you are good to go!
- Quinoa: A term becoming very popular amongst the weight shedders. It is pricey but a wonder food for those looking to lose weight and consume some protein!
- Chia Seeds: Another superhero that is found in every weight loss diet chart. Knowing to help lose weight to a whole new level. The protein it contains is just a cherry on the cake.
- Unsweetened Cocoa powder: Wait, What? Yes! Though the quantity is less, it does have one gram of protein per tablespoon. So go ahead! Add some into your milk. Taste with good health.
There you have it! A guide to protein intake for vegetarians. One suggestion we would give you is to not stress too much on the measurements. Indian cuisine is designed to provide enough protein for your body. But always be on a lookout to spot some of these protein foods on your plate.